Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:36:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Happy New Year - a little tour diary from Asia
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy New Year - a little tour diary from Asia  (Read 23137 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: December 31, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »

Taipei

December 11

Took the subway to the Banqiao station and walked outside. Had to think what way to walk since I knew the stadium was south of the station. Once I figured it out, I started walking. A few steps later I could clearly hear the sounds of Welcome To The Jungle coming from somewhere. I knew the direction that I needed to head from the station exit, but now navigation became even easier. Just follow the sounds coming from the stadium. Easy!

As I walked inside the band was playing It's So Easy.

No, I hadn't missed the start of the show because I was drinking coffee somewhere else in Taipei, I had gotten to the venue just as the band was doing an afternoon sound check ("So, this is a sound check!").

The venue was in the middle of a somewhat residential looking area with high apartment buildings, some of which were still being contructed. Seeing cranes lift huge concrete blocks that were assembled into apartment buildings while GN'R was playing was a bit surreal. The sun was still out so it was a warm December day in Taipei as the band kept playing. Warm December day is a really weird concept for me. In a good way.

The band played through a bunch of songs that I hadn't heard live before in front of a small crowd of fans and athletes practising on the track. Things looked very promising as the sun began to set.

Had a cold can of coffee before the show. It was called Mr. Brown. Remindmed me of one of my favorite movies!

Since the show was outdoors, there was Wifi at the stage. Which was perfect for somebody like me posting updates from the show.

Around 8:30PM, the lights go out and the familiar intro from Chinese Democracy starts.

The first ever GN'R show in Taipei, and the first of the tour, had begun.

After the song Axl greets the crowd and the band kicks into Welcome To The Jungle. The band plays a set with plenty of new tracks mixed with old favorites. The show marks the first time the band has performed If The World, Shackler's Revenge and This I Love.

It's also the first time Tommy sings lead vocals at a GN'R show when he sings The Who's My Generation. On top of that, it was DJ's first show with GN'R.

During the show, it starts raining in Taipei. The weather had been sunny earlier that week, but the rain starts and as the band is playing November Rain, Axl acknowledges the change in weather by singing December Rain instead. Something which doesn't go unnnoticed by the Taiwanese crowd. They loved it.

Axl tells a story about meeting Bob Dylan and how he asked Axl when GN'R would record their version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door so he could get the royalties from it...

Setlist: Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, If The World, Live And Let Die, Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond), There Was A Time, Frank Ferrer drum solo, Tommy Stinson bass solo/My Generation (The Who cover with Tommy on lead vocals), I.R.S., Rocket Queen, Dizzy Reed Piano Solo/Street Of Dreams, DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (The Ballad Of Death)/Sweet Child O' Mine, Jam/November Rain, Ron Thal Guitar Solo (Pink Panther), You Could Be Mine, Shackler's Revenge, Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Encore: This I Love, Jam/Better, Paradise City

As I leave Taipei in the early morning, it's raining.

Seoul

December 13

Chilly winter day in Seoul. A total contrast to Taipei's warm weather. Cold December is not weird to me at all.

This is also the first of three indoor shows.

The venue is one of the Olympic ones built for the 1988 Olympics and is located in the Olympic Park.

The cab driver thought I was going to the hotel next to the park. Only when he asked a park attendant for help, did he realize I was going to the Guns N' Roses gig. The attendant looked at me and asked "Guns N' Roses?", then gave the cab driver instructions on how to drive to the venue.

Lights out at 9:20PM and Everybody Knows by Leonard Cohen is used as intro music.

More songs from Chinese Democracy is premiered tonight. Axl mentions how this was the second time he sang Sorry (the first time was the soundcheck in Taipei). The band jams on Black Betty before Tommy taking over lead vocals on My Generation. The band also jams on a cover of Lou Reed's Walk On The Wild Side during the show.

Axl surprises everybody by playing an instrumental version of Elton John's Someone Saved My life Tonight before November Rain.

The show is a bit special because the set doesn't have an encore break. Full speed all the way to the finish line.

Great crowd in Seoul. They sure know how to keep the temperature up!

Setlist: Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Shackler's Revenge, There Was A Time, Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond), Live And Let Die, Frank Drum Solo, Sorry, Rocket Queen, DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (The Ballad Of Death)/Sweet Child O' Mine, Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Ziggy Stardust)/Street of Dreams, You Could Be Mine, Jam (Black Betty), My Generation, Jam, Someone Saved My life Tonight/November Rain, Walk On The Wild Side, Better, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Ron Thal Guitar Solo (Pink Panther), Paradise City

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:30:39 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »

Osaka

December 16

GN'R is back in Osaka which is where the last tour in 2007 ended. That's when I went straight from the club to the hotel to pack and then to the airport to fly home.

The city is the same, the opening act is the same, but the venue is the Kyocera Dome.

Since it's a "school night", there's a bunch of salarymen rocking out to GN'R in the crowd. Men in business suits having a great fucking time. Quite the sight if you ask me!

The show itself just won't stop. I lose track of time and it's not until I check how many songs were actually played that I realize this was a long show. I obviously noticed that they played songs they hadn't done before, but I just didn't keep track of time. I was enjoying the show too much!

My personal highlight probably was to hear Prostitute for the first time in a concert. And Scraped. That was quite unbelievable.

Just when you think you've had enough surprises for one evening, they throw in Catcher. I was more than amazed at this point and the surprises just kept coming. Did anybody expect Whole Lotta Rosie? With a piano!

Setlist: Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Shackler's Revenge, If The World, Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond), Live And Let Die, Sorry, Rocket Queen, Prostitute, Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Ziggy Stardust)/Street of Dreams, Scraped, Frank Drum Solo/You Could Be Mine, Jam (Waiting On A Friend), Axl Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight)/November Rain, IRS, DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (The Ballad Of Death)/Sweet Child O' Mine, Catcher In The Rye, Out Ta Get Me, Ron Thal Guitar Solo (Pink Panther), Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Whole Lotta Rosie, This I Love, Nightrain

Encores: Madagascar, Better, Sonic Reducer (Tommy on lead vocals), Patiece, Don't Cry/Paradise City

After the show I go out and have a few drinks before going back to the hotel. End up staying awake until the 11am bus to the train station and subsequent Shinkansen ride to Tokyo? I was a bit tired that evening in Tokyo but still went shopping in Shibuya.

Tokyo

December 19

Once again, I get to the venue by subway and make my way out from the station. I'm trying to find a caf? where people from the board are supposed to gather. Unfortunately that mission fails because I'm looking for a place that doesn't exist. As I walk inside the legendary Tokyo Dome, the opening act MUCC is on stage.

This is the final show of the Asian tour and I have a feeling it might be the best one.

The Tokyo Dome really is huge. I've never seen GN'R in an indoor venue of this size. Amazing setting. One thing I remember from 2007, and it's still true, is the way everything is in order here. Everything is organized and the fans are so respectful. They might seem mellow to the outsider, but that's only the impression you get.

The show itself is like the one in Osaka. It's amazing, long and it's full of surprises. With one little difference. It's better!

The band is playing their asses off and playing longer than ever before. Truly a memorable moment and show.

What a nice early Christmas present we got at the Tokyo Dome!

Setlist: Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Catcher In The Rye, Sorry, If The World, Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond), Live And Let Die, Dizzy Reed Piano Solo (Ziggy Stardust)/Street of Dreams, You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen, My Michelle, DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (The Ballad Of Death)/Sweet Child O' Mine, Shackler's Revenge, IRS, Axl Piano Solo/November Rain, Whole Lotta Rosie, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Scraped, Prostitute, This I Love, Frank Drum Solo/Out Ta Get Me, Ron Thal Guitar Solo (Pink Panther), Don't Cry, Nightrain

Encore: Madagascar, There Was A Time, My Generation (Tommy on lead vocals), Better, Patience, Nice Boys, Paradise City

After the show I go out for some "goodbye to Asia" drinks. Get a cab back to the hotel in the morning, sleep for two hours and leave for Narita. Everything on the trip has gone smoothly until I land in Europe and my flight back home is first delayed and then canceled. Spend 15 hrs at the airport over night (awake) until I manage to catch a flight back to Sweden. Small price to pay for two weeks of fun in Asia!

Thanks to everybody who made this memorable trip so amazing, the band, the crew, the fans and the people in Taipei, Seoul, Osaka and Tokyo.

Thank you for 2009, Happy New Year!

See you in 2010!  beer

/jarmo
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:33:33 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Fernando
The REAL Fernando
Rocker

Adz sucks irl.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »

Not one mention of seeing me.

I hate you, so stabbing you in the face next time I see you.

Narcissism has a lot to do with selfishness and deep need for adoration, not giving a fuck for others and promoting themselves at the expense of others often publicly.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:34:37 AM »

People might get jealous......

hihi

/jarmo

Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:39:12 AM »

The Asian gigs were exciting even for (most of) us who didn't go, thanx to your updates, Jarmo!  ok

Looking forward to 2010!

Happy New Year!   beer

Stavanger-rock-city!!
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:53:43 AM »

People might get jealous......

hihi

/jarmo

People = AdZ, right?  Lips Sealed

Thanks for sharing, Jarmo.
Those pics look AMAZING!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!! 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Manets
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »

Thank you for everything jarmo, good work.
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »

Great pictures, awsome journey this must had been. Can't help getting a little bit jealously, though!  hihi

Happy new year, everybody!  peace

LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:22:43 AM »

Psst....I think Fernando's lost his freakin mind....

That being said, I'm not stopping him...not that he scares me...just that we can smell our own kind, and it would be fun as fuck to watch....haha

But beyond that, nice reporting J-man

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »

thanks jaramo

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »

Sounds like quite the adventure!

You're such a people person.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »

Great diary

HAppy new year
poorlakers
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

Thanks for the updates & pic's Jarmo. Nice to see some of the "East"!

Poorlakers
redrose
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »

Great done Jarmo,

Happy New Year Everyone
Marion68
VIP

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing with us jarmo

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all people
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »

We have loved the stories, updates and pics Jarmo. Glad to see you get to rock your ass off. And Fernando seems to put up with you. lol So I am guessing you will have a blast in Canada! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Jan-Christoph K?hler
Headliner

:-)

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »

Great, thanks! Happy new year everyone!  beer

:-)
Annie
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 06:59:57 PM »

Sounds like a great time! beer
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 07:18:28 PM »

excellent read, happy new year jarmo.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »

Sounds fucking great, look forward to see your summary of the canadian shows Wink  happy new year to you all
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: